Aston Villa



Scorer(s) | Jack Devey, Billy Dickson, Dennis Hodgetts, Dennis Hodgetts

Assists(s) | Not recorded

Game #137

FA Cup Semi Final

Bramall Lane, Sheffield

Attendance: 25,000

Saturday, 27 February 1892



Game #137

Season | 1891-92 |
Matchday | #24 |
Manager Game | #111 |
Saturday, 27 February 1892


Manager | George Ramsay led Management Committee |
FT Score | 4-1 |
FT Result | Won |
Last 5 Games | WWWWW |


Starting XI Average Age
| 25.85 |

Oldest Player |
D Harry Devey | 31.99 |

Youngest Player |
W Charlie Athersmith | 19.81 |


Villa named an unchanged line up from the team that beat Wolves in the Third Round.


Not recorded


Not recorded




Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 00.17.05.png


GK Jimmy Warner |
D Gershom Cox |
CB Jimmy Cowan |
D Harry Devey |
FB Walter Evans |
D John Baird |
W Lewis Campbell |
W Charlie Athersmith |
F Jack Devey |
F Dennis Hodgetts |
CF Billy Dickson |


ex: Also played for the Villa

g: Scored

s/o: Sent off

s-: Sub off; s+: Sub on


No Substitutions permitted in period


No Substitutions permitted in period


[Exact timings not recorded]
Goal, 0-1, (Sunderland)
Goal, 1-1, Jack Devey, Assist by Jimmy Cowan
HT Aston Villa 1-1 Sunderland
60’ Goal, 2-1, Billy Dickson, Assist by Jack Devey
61’ Goal, 3-1, Dennis Hodgetts
Goal, 4-1, Dennis Hodgetts
FT Aston Villa 4-1 Sunderland


Villa qualify for their first FA Cup final since winning the cup in 1887.


Dennis Hodgetts, scored a brace to put Villa in their second FA Cup final, Saturday, 27 Ferbruary 1892


*The Birmingham Daily Post*
Monday 29 February 1892



The tie between these powerful League clubs was decided at Bramall Lane, Sheffield, and, as was to be expected, created widespread interest, the general impression being that the successful team would be the ultimate winners of the cup.

Opinions were fairly well divided as to the respective merits of the two teams, but though Aston Villa had achieved greater distinction in cup-ties in past seasons than their opponents, the side had not been set such severe tasks in the earlier rounds of the present competition.

In meeting Heanor Town and Darwen at Birmingham Aston Villa had no great opposition to overcome, but they unquestionably accomplished a good performance in beating the Wolverhampton Wanderers on the ground of the latter.

In the first two rounds Sunderland met in succession Notts County and Accrington, and owing to the severe weather that prevailed two matches were necessary. At the second meeting, however, Sunder- land in turn disposed of the Nottingham men by four goals to none, and Accrington by three goals to one. Then followed a drawn game with Stoke, but on their own ground Sunderland achieved a brilliant victory over the Staffordshire team by four goals to nothing. On the strength of their better record in cup-ties and in the League competition Sunderland were perhaps favourites, but a close and keenly-contested game was generally anticipated.

Up to a certain point these expectations were fully realised, and though Sunderland had undoubtedly the best of the first half they missed several chances of scoring, and at half-time the game was in an even state, each side having obtained one goaL

Directly after changing ends the Aston Villa forwards, who had previously given an indifferent display, showed marvellous improvement both in dash and combination, and further received better support from the-half-backs.

The result was a change in the character of the play, and, carrying, all before them in a brilliant manner, the Birmingham team gained a most meritorious and unexpectedly decisive victory by 4 goals to 1.

The conditions were all favourable to a good, fast game, as there was practically no wind, and the ground was in fair order. As was expected, there was an immense gathering of spectators, and long before the start the enclosure was densely thronged. In all it was estimated the attendance numbered 25,000.

Porteus beat Dickson in the spin of the coin, but-there was no advantage to be derived from winning; The Sunderland captain chose to play towards the Bramall Lane goal, and Dickson set the ball in motion on behalf of the Villa.

The Northerners at once commenced to press hotly, and, the forwards being finely backed up by the halves, Scott twice got down grandly, while James Hannah also shot for goal. Warner had twice to fist out, while from a brilliant run and centre by Scott Campbell headed over the bar.

The pressure was very severe but at length Athersmith got away, and from a beautiful centre Hodgetts headed just over the bar.

Twice Gow saved by means of grand kicks, but the Northern forwards soon came back again, and once more pressed hotly.

Twice the Villa goal was only saved by the granting of a corner, and from the second of these Campbell scored a goal, amid a torrent of applause.

Devey got away from the kick-off, but Gow, who was playing a capital back game, pulled both him and Athersmith up. Some superb passing by the Sunderland five again placed the Villa goal in imminent peril, and the second point seemed likely to be gained. Evans, however, cleared, only, however, to see Miller and Scott come half the length of the field by means of some brilliant passing.

The Villa were rather shaky, and three or four bad mis-kicks were made by H. Devey and Cox. Campbell, the Sunderland centre, was winded, but soon recovered, and the game proceeded as fast as before.

The crowd broke in near the Villa goal, but Mr. Clegg refused to allow the game to proceed until they went back. This they quickly did.

A run by Athersmith took the play to the Sunderland end, where the Villa were awarded a foul in a dangerous position. Back came the Northern forwards in beautiful style, and after a few passes Scott had hard luck in hitting the bar with a shot which seemed certain to get past Warner, while that custodian twice saved smartly in the next five minutes. A corner to Sunderland was put harmlessly behind.

Then Athersmith once more raced off, and the Villa had two very sharp attacks, Doig saving each time. J. Hannah made another run, but only gained a corner. John Campbell dribbled grandly down the centre, and passing to James Hannah, the latter shot so swiftly that Warner had to concede a corner.

The game was brilliantly contested, and Devey headed- out perilously close to the Sunderland posts, while Scott at the other end shot within a few feet of Warner.

From a long shot by Cowan the ball struck the bar, and Devey rushed up and put the ball past Doig amid a perfect roar of applause.

Before anything else could he done half-time arrived, the score standing at 1 goal each.

During the interval the crowd broke in on the un reserved, and could only be kept back by means of mounted police. When the game commenced again the Villa seemed the fresher of the two, and for some little time the game went unmistakably in their favour. They gained two corners, the first of which Doig saved finely, while the second was put behind. Then Sunderland had a turn, but a hard kick by Gow sent the ball harmlessly outside.

The Villa were not long on the defensive, for, from a determined run by Dickson, Devey headed just outside the bar.

After a quarter of an hour's play the Villa got well down, and, Devey passing nicely to Dickson, the burly centre shot past Doig, while the cheers which greeted this feat had hardly died away before Hodgetts easily put on a third goal for the Perry Barr eleven, a feat which sent the Villa section of the spectators almost wild with delight.

Sunderland now attacked, but their forwards seemed to have lost a great deal of their dash and fire. James Hannah twice centred well, but John Campbell did not seem able to get the ball well under control.

Louis Campbell next galloped off, and from his contra Devey sent in a shot which Doig only just managed to save from going close under the crossbar.

The Wearsiders were now a beaten team, Porteus seeming hardly able to kick a ball, while the forwards seemed to have lost all idea of combination. John Campbell tried what a long shot would do, but it went sailing over the crossbar. During the next ten minutes Sunderland tried very hard to make up the ground they had lost, and had somewhat the better of the game, but when the Villa got down so disorganised had the Northerners' defence become that Hodgetts simply walked past Porteus, and scored a fourth point in the easiest possible manner.

Of course the game was now as good as over, and the pace at which it was played slackened considerably.

Athersmith raced down; but he had Gow against him, and did not always do as he liked; but Hodgetts and Campbell did just as they liked with Porteus. Doig saved a fast shot from Louis Campbell in grand style, but although the Villa had the whole of the play they did not score again. The Villa thus won by 4 goals to 1.