top of page

Game #415

Monday, 19 March 1900

Attendance: 15,000


Division One


Manchester City


Hyde Road

Fred Wheldon hit a brace as reigning Champions Villa win at Manchester City to open up a 3 point lead at the head of the table but title rivals Sheffield United now had 3 games in hand.

Manchester City


Aston Villa (Champions)

Assists(s) | Not recorded


Fred Wheldon, hit a brace to open a three point lead at the top of the table, Monday, 19 March 1900.



[Exact timings not recorded]
35โ€™ Goal, 1-0, Fred Wheldon
HT Manchester City 0-1 Aston Villa
Goal, 2-0, Fred Wheldon
FT Manchester City 0-2 Aston Villa


Reigning Champions Villa win at Manchester City to open up a 3 point lead at the head of the table but title rivals Sheffield United now had 3 games in hand.

Aston Villa

Manchester City


Previous 5 vs. Manchester City: | - | - | ๐ŸŸฉ | ๐ŸŸจ | ๐ŸŸฉ |


Season | 1899-00 |
Matchday | #36 |
League Match | #29 |
Manager Game | #389 |
Monday, 19 March 1900


Manager | George Ramsay led Management Committee |
FT Score | 2-0 |
FT Result | Won |
Last 5 Games | DDLLW |




Manchester City

All the matches


Villa make one change from the side that lost at Newcastle with Albert Wilkes returning for Michael Noon.


Starting XI Average Age | 27.17 |

Oldest Player |
F Jack Devey | 33.25 |

Youngest Player |
CF Billy Garraty | 21.46 |



George Ramsay led Management Committee

Aston Villa

GK Billy George |
D Jimmy Cowan |
FB Albert Evans |
FB Howard Spencer |
M Tommy Bowman |
M Albert Wilkes |
W Charlie Athersmith |
W Steve Smith |
F Fred Wheldon |
F Jack Devey |
CF Billy Garraty |

Manchester City


No Substitutions permitted in period



No Substitutions permitted in period







Not recorded


Not Recorded

Player Abbreviations:

GK : Goalkeeper

LB, RB, FB : Left Back, Right Back, Full Back

CB, D : Centre Back, Defender

M, W : Midfielder. Winger

F, CF : Forward, Centre Forward

๐ŸŸข : Debut ๐Ÿ”ด : Final Game


โšฝ | Goal
๐Ÿ”ฅ | Assist
๐Ÿ” | Substitution

๐ŸŸจ | Booking

๐ŸŸฅ | Sending off

๐Ÿ†˜ | Poor refereeing performance




Not recorded


2021-22 Matchweek 38.jpg


Quotation Marks.png


"The home side tried to get through before the finish, but all to no purpose, the Villa team retiring victorious."

*The Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser*
Tuesday, 20 March 1900


This return League match was played at Hyde Road, before 15,000 spectators. Wilkes, in place of Crabtree, was the only change the team, and Dougal on place of F. Williams the only alteration on the City side.

Meredith won the toss, and City played with a strong wind behind them, but immediately after Garrity had kicked off. the Villa forwards ran to the City goal, and Jones gave a corner kick. This was speedily cleared, but the Villa were rather strong on the attack, and Read and Williams both had to clear their lines.

Very soon after this, Ross gave Meredith a pass, and the latter ran away at full speed and shot, the ball lodging in George's arms, and he quickly threw away.

Immediately afterwards a corner kick was given to City, but it did not assist the home side. At the other end, Smith showed signs of breaking away, but his namesake got in the way, and the ball was transferred into the Villa half.

Meredith and Ross put in some very nice passing, and were assisted by B. Smith, who was very prominent in tackling his opponents.

After a corner kick had been taken at the City end. Athersmith tried a shot which, however, went out of play.

The City players pressed severely with the aid the wind, and a couple of corners were taken by Threlfall which were not utilised, and soon afterwards George gave another corner from a stinging shot by Moffatt.

Along with his partner Athersmith, passed well, and made tracks for Williams' charge, and a free kick given against Holmes for fouling Athersmith looked dangerous. The home defenders, however, saved cleverly.

Both sets of players worked very hard, and with the ball at the centre line some very pretty touches were done by Wheldon, B. Smith, Read, and Garraty, the smartness of these players being applauded.

The Villa again applied pressure, and Garraty got close in, but landed the ball over the bar. After the Villa had applied some further pressure, the scene of operations was changed to the other end as the result of a long pass by Gillespie to Threlfall, the latter player centring from the goalline.

The ball, however, was cleared, but immediately afterwards a mistake by Cowan almost brought disaster to his side, George saving on the ground.

Athersmith had the ball passed to him by Devey, but the former was off-side. B. Smith again distinguished himself, and he was fouled but the free kick was of no service to City.

The Villa again went into the City half through Athersmith, and from a good centre by him Williams fisted out from Garraty but he only partially cleared, and Wheldon receiving possession shot into the net after 35 minutes play.

The Villa forwards again visited the City goal, but Read and Jones managed to keep them out, and Gillespie and Ross, on the home side, ran down together, but Meredith got off-side, and spoiled possible chance.

Meredith again received the ball, and after a run down the wing centred beautifully to Gillespie, who headed over the bar.

Read and Jones were given some more defensive work do, but when the interval arrived no more goals had been scored.

Half time: Aston Villa, one goal: Manchester City, none.

When the game was re-started the Villa forwards once again ran to the City goal, where Williams and his backs had plenty work to do, but came out of the ordeal with credit.

Meredith and Ross made some praiseworthy efforts to reach George's charge, but Spencer and Evans were in fine form, and kept out all attacks.

After a run by Athersmith, he centred grandly, and Williams saved in brilliant fashion, and then knocked out a lovely shot by Wheldon, these fine performances of the City custodian earning for him unstinted applause.

At the other end the City forwards made great efforts to score, but all their shots were easily accounted for Spencer and Evans.

After a time, however, Meredith got away and after beating Wilkes he centred in front of goal, and George fisted out when Ross and Gillespie were both trying to head into the net.

With the game in the centre, Moffatt made an effort to give his forwards possession, but the ball hit the referee, and this accident was turned into misfortune for City, as Wheldon got hold and with long shot easily beat Williams, who could not reach the ball before it went into the net.

Villa looked like scoring again, and they tried hard do so, but Wheldon was prevented from breaking through.

At the other end Meredith centred from a pass by Ross, but the ball went over the bar.

The home side tried to get through before the finish, but all to no purpose, the Villa team retiring victorious.

Aston Villa 2; Manchester City 0