top of page

Game #31

Saturday, 22 January 1887

Attendance: 10,000


FA Cup 3rd Round 2nd Replay

3rd Round

Wolverhampton Wanderers


Dudley Road

Albert Brown hits his ninth goal in five games but 360 minutes still can't separate Villa and Wolves ahead of a third replay in the third round of the FA Cup.



Aston Villa

Assist(s) | Not recorded


Albert Brown hits his ninth goal in five games but Villa still can't beat Wolves having played 360 minutes of football, Saturday, 22 January 1887



35’ Goal, 0-1, (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
HT Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Aston Villa
Goal, 1-1, Own Goal, T. Hunter
Goal, 2-1, Unknown
87’ Goal, 2-2, (Wolverhampton Wanderers), B Griffiths
FT Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-2 Aston Villa
Goal, 3-2, Albert Brown
Goal, 3-3, (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
AET Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-2 Aston Villa


Secretary Manager George Ramsay's Villa remain inseparable from Wolves after another 120 minutes are played at Dudley Road as the third round of the FA Cup requires a third replay, this time back at Wellington Road.

Aston Villa

Wolverhampton Wanderers


Previous 5 vs. Wolves: | - | - | - | 🟨 | 🟨 |


Season | 1886-87 |
Matchday | #5 |
Manager Game | #5 |
Saturday, 22 January 1887


Manager | George Ramsay led Management Committee |
FT Score | 3-3 |
(Additional half hour played)
AET Score | 3-3 |
AET Result | Drew |
Last 5 Games | WWDDD |


Referee: Mr. McIntyre.
Umpires: Messrs Bisseker and Albut.



Wolverhampton Wanderers


Villa named an unchanged lined up from the team that had drawn the second replay with Wolves the week previously.


[Exact birth dates not recorded]

Starting XI Average Age
| 24.64 |

Oldest Player |
WH Fred Dawson | 28.16 |

Youngest Player |
D Frank Coulton | 18.99 |


George Ramsay led Management Committee


Aston Villa

GK Jimmy Warner |
D Frank Coulton |
D Joe Simmonds |
M Jack Burton |
M Fred Dawson |
M Harry Yates |
F Albert Brown |
F Richmond Davis |
F Archie Hunter |
F Dennis Hodgetts |
F Howard Vaughton |

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Griffiths J, Baugh, Mason, Pearson, Allen, Lowder, Hunter (g), Knight, Brodie, Griffiths B (g), Wood.


No Substitutions permitted in period



No Substitutions permitted in period







Not recorded


Not Recorded

Player Abbreviations:

GK : Goalkeeper

LB, RB, FB : Left Back, Right Back, Full Back

CB, D : Centre Back, Defender

M, W : Midfielder. Winger

F, CF : Forward, Centre Forward

🟢 : Debut 🔴 : Final Game


⚽ | Goal
🔥 | Assist
🔁 | Substitution

🟨 | Booking

🟥 | Sending off

🆘 | Poor refereeing performance




Not recorded


2021-22 Matchweek 38.jpg


Quotation Marks.png


"The skill of the visitors’ backs was continually put to the test"

*The Birmingham Daily Post*
Monday, 24 January 1887




Unusual interest was taken in the match, which was played on the Dudley Road Ground, Wolverhampton. Two previous games having remained undecided, about seven thousand spectators assembled on the ground in anticipation of a determined struggle, and, considering the superior form which was exhibited by the Aston team the previous week, on a treacherous and unplayable field, no doubts were expressed that the issue of the game would be definite.

The field, however, was by no means perfect; and though considerably better than when the teams last met, the complete thaw during the week had yet rendered the ground too soft to admit of particular good play,

The day was fine, with a mild breeze, which, however, did not interfere with the manipulation of the leather; but the sun, which at times became very dazzling, prevented those playing up hill from performing delicate operations with accuracy.

Both teams showed rare form, and it was evident that they had come prepared for a desperate struggle.

Brodie having won the toss, Archie Hunter started the leather up hill, and by combined play the home right forwards worked into opposition territory. Being met by Simmonds the leather was returned, and Baugh, by a splendid shot, placed his goal out of danger.

By a pass from Brodie the home forwards worked down to the Villa goal, and, after some exciting play, a corner was obtained, from which, however, B Griffiths sent the leather over the bar.

The Wanderers now worked with considerable determination, and the skill of the visitors’ backs was continually put to the test, Brodie sent in a shot, which was negative by Albert Brown and after travelling up the field the leather was returned.

The mouth of the Aston goal was now the scene of an exciting struggle. A splendid shot from the centre was saved by Warner, and after another scrimmage, Lowder against the leather straight for the goal, but the visitors’ custodian fisted out gamely.

Both Lowder and Brodie showed exceptional form, and through the operations of the former the leather was kept well up to the opposition citadel, which for a time was in extreme danger, Warner being obliged several times to act on the defensive. Two or three well-placed corners fell to the Wanderers, but the shots were badly aimed and went wide.

Both goals were now alternately menaced, Archie Hunter on the one hand, and Lowder and Baugh on the other, being the chief aggressors.

The Wanderers, by some splendid passing, worked into the opposition territory; but the leather being dribbled back again, Griffiths had to kick out.

For some time afterwards the home team were in complete possession of their opponents’ ground and both Brodie and Lowder did effective service.

Two shots were made by the Wanderers’ captain, one going wide and the other being saved by Warner.

The other end of the field now became the scene of a struggle, and the home goal was in a very dangerous position, I. Griffiths having kicked out a splendid shot, Brodie secured the leather, and by a magnificent run carried it down the field, a shot which resulted going wide.

This performance was repeated immediately afterwards, the leather again going outside the posts.

Albert Brown having dribbled the sphere up to the Wanderers’ goal, it was returned, and from an exciting scrimmage close up to the posts the Wanderers scored the first point, within thirty five minutes from the commencement of the game, amidst great cheering.

Elated with success the home team pressed harder than ever, and the Villa’s territory was persistently invaded. Archie Hunter, however, eventually carried the leather away, but it was returned by Mason; and the Villa having again worked down to the opposition goal, Brodie secured the leather, and a run up the field culminated in a corner which, however, was unproductive.

The Wanderers’ goal was now the scene of some exciting play, and from a scrimmage the leather went just outside the posts. For a few minutes before the whistle sounded the Villa goal was in a state of continual siege, and T. Hunter, with a splendid opportunity for scoring, sent the ball wide of the posts.

At half-time, therefore, the game stood in favour of the Wanderers by 1 goal to nil.

The difference between the strength of the two teams was not nearly as apparent as at the previous match. The Wanderers had improved considerably, and their strength, which formerly lay in their backs and goal, was not considerably supplemented by the more confident play of the forwards and the magnificent operations of Brodie.

The backs, indeed, who last week were just perpetually on the alert, had now comparatively an easy task. The forwards showed a better master over the art of the passing though in several instances judgement was entirely at fault. The Wanderers until now had entirely the best of the game, but against this must be placed the disadvantages under which the Astonians laboured of occasionally playing in a dazzling light.

On resuming play the Aston team played with considerable energy, and immediately invaded the opposition territory, compelling I. Griffiths to punt out in defence.

For a long time the Wanderers’ headquarters were in a state of bombardment, and from a scrimmage the score was equalised by T. Hunter putting the leather through his own goal. Shot after shot was sent straight to the posts, I Griffiths having to pass out frequently; and the ball having traversed the field, was again returned, and Griffiths had to fist out once more to preserve his goal.

Shortly afterwards, through the Wanderers misunderstanding a signal for a foul, the leather was rushed up from the Villa left wing and I Griffiths who was wholly off his guard, failed to stop a shot sent in.

The Wanderers now seemed to become dispirited and could not cope with the combined runs and beautiful passes of the visitors. Consequently, after some desultory play in mid-field, the leather was worked up to the home goal, and Griffiths had to fist out twice, and after some careful play another shot was made, which, however, went over the bar.

Brodie having returned the leather, the Villa goal was for a time rather precarious, but some long shots from Simmonds were effectively met by Baugh, and eventually a mis-kick made by Archie Hunter resulted in the Villa territory again being invaded.

Lowder did effective service, and a shot which he made was negatived by Coulton. Each goal was in turn attacked, and from a scrimmage near the Villa’s citadel Knight sent in a shot which was neatly stopped by Warner.

Returning the leather it was manipulated by the Astonians in a beautiful manner, and a shot which was made went wide. Brodie having got possession of the leather pushed it up the field, and from a scrimmage Simmonds had to save his goal.

Again the Wanderers’ goal was in a state of bombardment, and Albert Brown made a shot which was saved by I Griffiths. Another made shortly afterwards went wide.

The play now became very exciting, and Brodie having worked the leather up the field it was returned by Yates, and the Wanderers’ custodian had to stop a shot which resulted.

For a short time a dangerous scrimmage took place the mouth of the Wanderers’ goal, but eventually the leather was worked right down the field, and after some good play in the centre Albert Brown made a shot which was stopped by Griffiths, whose cool and determined defence stood the Wanderers in good stead.

The home backs likewise maintained their reputation, and proved a considerable trouble to the visitors, Mason’s powerful kicks especially contributing not a little to the safety of his goal.

During the last quarter of an hour the Wanderers braced themselves up with a determination if possible to equalise the score.

By a clever run on the left wing the Villa goal was rendered exceedingly dangerous, Brodie doing excellent service; and after some very fast play B. Griffiths, from a scrimmage, pushed the leather round the post with his foot, and scored within two or three minutes of time.

On an appeal to the referee the point was allowed.

The Wanderers again pressed hard, but the Villa worked into opposition territory, and the home goal was in a state of siege.

Time, however, was called without any addition being made to the score.

There being a draw, an extra half-hour was played with a view to definitely deciding the game.

Each goal was alternately attacked, but eventually the leather was maintained in a position which rendered the Wanderers’ goal extremely dangerous, Some very delicate manoeuvres by the Villa forwards resulted in a corner, from which Albert Brown sent in a low shot which eluded the Wanderers’ custodian.

The magnificent defending powers of Mason and Baugh were now called into requisition but the leather was subsequently worked up to the Villa headquarters, from whence a corner-kick was obtained, which however, went wide.

The play which followed was very equal. The leather traversed all parts of the field, first one goal and then the other being attacked, but no other scoring was made until the sides were changed.

Brodie then, by another of his splendid runs, sent in a shot which was stopped by Warner, and the subsequent play was exceedingly fast.

The Wanderers, intent on equalising the score, played with great energy, but their efforts seemed hopeless until within five minutes of time, when the leather danced around the visitors goal in a dangerous manner.

The Astonians with equal determination played gamely, but eventually the leather was sent through. As no side had gained the advantage the referee suggested that another half-hour should be played, but as arrangements could not be made with Aston Villa the game ended for the third time in a draw of 3 goals each.

Wolverhampton Wanderers; Goal, I. Griffths; backs, Mason and Baugh; half-backs, Lowder, Allen and Pearson; forwards, Wood and B. Griffiths (left). Brodie (centre), Knight and Hunter (right).

Aston Villa: Goal, Warner; backs, Coulton and Simmonds; half-backs, Yates, Dawson and Burton; forwards, Hodgetts and Vaughton (left), Hunter (centre), Brown and Davis (right).

Umpires, Messrs Dallard and McGregor. Referee, Mr McIntyre, Manchester.