Aston Villa (Champions)



Scorer(s) | Charlie Athersmith, Howard Spencer

Assists(s) | Not recorded

Game #242

Division One

Wellington Road, Perry Barr

Attendance: 7,000

Monday, 15 April 1895



Game #242

Season | 1894-95 |
Matchday | #33 |
League Match | #29 |
Manager Game | #216 |
Monday, 15 April 1895


Manager | George Ramsay led Management Committee |
FT Score | 2-2 |
FT Result | Drew |
Last 5 Games | WWLWD |


Starting XI Average Age
| 24.93 |

Oldest Player |
F Dennis Hodgetts | 31.40 |

Youngest Player |
FB Howard Spencer | 19.66 |


In one change from the team that put 5 goals past Burnley without reply, Steve Smith returns from international duty to replace Billy Dorrell.


Not recorded


Not recorded




Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 00.17.05.png


GK Harry Wilkes |
CB Jimmy Cowan |
FB Jimmy Welford |
FB Howard Spencer |
M George Russell |
M Fred Burton |
W Steve Smith |
W Charlie Athersmith |
F Dennis Hodgetts |
F Bob Chatt |
F Jack Devey |


ex: Also played for the Villa

g: Scored

s/o: Sent off

s-: Sub off; s+: Sub on


No Substitutions permitted in period


No Substitutions permitted in period


[Exact timings not recorded]
Goal, 0-1, (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Goal, 1-1, Charlie Athersmith
Goal, 1-2, (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
HT Aston Villa 1-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers
78’ Goal, 2-2, Howard Spencer
FT Aston Villa 2-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers


Reigning Champions Villa’s draw with Wolves mean that their title defence can only result in a best finish of 3rd place in the table.


Howard Spencer, scored Villa's equaliser, Monday, 15 April 1895


*The Birmingham Daily Post*
Tuesday 16 April 1895


The return League match between the Aston Villa and the Wolverhampton Wanderers was played at Perry Barr yesterday. Additional interest was lent to the fixture by the fact that upon the result of the contest depended the Villa’s chances of gaining second place in the League table, whilst the Wanderers had a great stake at issue, for defeat to them most probably would have meant their inclusion in the last three clubs of the League, and the necessity of fighting for their position.

An exciting game was therefore assured, and about 9,000 spectators assembled to witness it. Nor were the supporters disappointed in their expectations, for play was very fast and interesting, both teams making desperate efforts to win.

In the earlier stages of the game the Wanderers showed very fine form, and their attacks were marked with more determination than were those of the Villa, although the latter played the prettier football, and the consequence was that the visitors led at half time by 2 goals to 1.

In the second half the balance of play was greatly in favour of the Villa, who attacked almost continuously.

The Wanderers, however, maintained a grand defence, and kept their lead until twelve minutes fro the finish, when their opponents drew level from a free kick.

As the Wolverhampton men only wanted a point to prevent their inclusion in the last three they contented themselves with playing strictly on the defensive for the remainder of the game, and were successful in their endeavours to prevent the Villa scoring.

The latter thus lost their chance of gaining second place in the League, for the highest total they can attain to is 40 points, whereas Everton at present possess 41.

Griffin started the game, and the Villa at once dashed foes the field, and Chatt shot but the ball struck one of the Wanderers’ backs. Then the Wanderers’ made an attack, and a foul was given against the Villa close in goal.

The kick was taken, and the ball went into the net without having touched anyone; but the referee had the ball brought back, as the kick was taken before he had given the signal.

Wykes took the kick, and this time was successful, the ball going into the net off one of the Villa player’s legs.

A rush by the Villa was stopped by Baugh, and then the Wanderers broke away, and Griffin put the ball into the net for the second time, but was given offside.

A beautiful run by the Villa was the next feature of interest, but Hodgetts spoiled the effort by passing out.

Determined rushed by both sides were checked by Spencer and Baugh respectively and then another attack by the Villa was terminated by Hodgetts shooting wide.

The Wanderers who were evidently determined to make a big bid for the two points that they wanted so badly, made a pretty run up the field, and Edge shot well. Wilkes caught the ball, but threw it away badly, and Black promptly returned it. Wilkes, however, achieved a really magnificent save, winning a round of the heartiest applause.

A moment later Athersmith made a dashing run, and forced Dunn to concede a corner kick. The Villa sprinter himself took the kick and placed the ball so accurately that it touched Dunn’s back and cannoned into the net.

The scores were thus equal, and the play became very fast and exciting.

At the one end Hassall saved a fine shot form Smith, and at the other, Wilkes prevented a capital attempt from Edge proving successful.

Spender next headed away a fine shot by Black, and directly after Wilkes was cheered for stopping a splendid effort by the same player.

So far the Wanderers had had quite as much of the play as the Villa, showing excellent combination, and putting any amount of determination into their attacks.

The Villa had played well in the field, but had been weak in front of goal.

Devey, however, was responsible for a fine attempt to get though, but he was bustled when about to shoot and put the ball out.

A minute or two later he was given a fine opening, Smith centring right to his feet but the Villa centre forward again shot out.

Another grand centre by Smith was productive of an exciting struggle in the Wanderers’ goal mouth, but the defence prevailed against the attack.

The Villa were now having decidedly the best of the play, and in one attack, Athersmith was conspicuous for his fine centring, but Smith had the misfortune to shoot a few inches wide.

Several determined attempts to score were now made by the Wanderers, and Griffin at length obtained a fine goal.

The visitors thus led at the interval by 2 goals to 1.

The Wanderers were the first to attack after half time, and Spencer showed some excellent tackling.

After about five minutes play the Villa forwards changed the scene of the game, but an unsuccessful free kick was the only reward of their efforts.

The the Wanderers pressed, and some exciting play took place in the Villa goal, the ball being thrice shot in in quick succession but it was either kicked or headed out on each occasion.

At length a corner kick was given to the Wanderers, but they failed to improve upon it, and the Villa retaliated by a series of dashing assaults on the visitors’ goal which was wonderfully well kept by Hassall.

The Villa, nothing daunted, returned to the attack with great persistence, and the Wanderers’ foal was subjected to a terrific bombardment, the ball being shot in at least a dozen times, but it was stopped by Hassall or his backs, who well deserved the hearty applause that rewarded their efforts.

After Athersmith and Chatt had each tried shots, the Villa made another combined attack, but a corner kick was all that they could obtain.

A clever run by Wykes gave relief to the Wanderers’ defence, but it was only momentarily, for the Villa were soon pressing again, but once more their efforts did no meet with the desired success.

Twelve minutes before the finish, however, Spencer took a freekick, and the ball went into the net after striking one of the visitors.

The Villa afterwards drove desperately hard to score the winning goal, but were unable to pierce the defence of the Wanderers, and the match ended in a draw of 2 goals each.