top of page

Game #243

Aston Villa

Saturday, 20 April 1895



FA Cup Final

Attendance: 42,562

West Bromwich Albion

Crystal Palace

A year after being crowned League Champions Villa win the FA Cup for the second time as "the ball struck Chatt's legs and cannoned out to Hodgetts, who touched it into the net amidst tremendous cheering."

Aston Villa


West Brom

Assists(s) | Bob Chatt | 1' |


Dennis Hodgetts, "the ball struck Chatt's legs and cannoned out to Hodgetts, who touched it into the net amidst tremendous cheering.", Saturday, 20 April 1895




Saturday, 20 April 1895

1’ Goal, 1-0, Dennis Hodgetts, Assist by Bob Chatt
HT Aston Villa 1-0 West Bromwich Albion
FT Aston Villa 1-0 West Bromwich Albion


A year after being crowned League Champions Villa win the FA Cup for the second time.

Aston Villa

West Bromwich Albion

League Champions: ❌
FA Cup Winners: 🏆🏆
Last Trophy: 1891-92


West Bromwich Albion

Previous 5 vs. Albion: | 🟩 | 🟩 | 🟩 | 🟩 | 🟥 |


Season | 1894-95 |
Matchday | #34 |
Manager Game | #217 |
Saturday, 20 April 1895


Manager | George Ramsay led Management Committee |
FT Score | 1-0 |
FT Result | Won |
Last 5 Games | WLWDW |


George Ramsay led Management Committee


🕒 217 | 🟩 118 🟨 31 🟥 68 | 1.77

Career Form:

Top 6

George Ramsay led Management Committee


All the matches refereed by:



West Bromwich Albion


Villa make one change for the FA Cup final with Jack Reynolds returning in place of Fred Burton.


Starting XI Average Age
| 24.88 |

Oldest Player |
F Dennis Hodgetts | 31.41 |

Youngest Player |
FB Howard Spencer | 19.67 |



George Ramsay led Management Committee

Aston Villa

GK Harry Wilkes |
CB Jimmy Cowan |
FB Jimmy Welford |
FB Howard Spencer |
M Jack Reynolds |
M George Russell |
W Steve Smith |
W Charlie Athersmith |
F Dennis Hodgetts |
F Bob Chatt |
F Jack Devey |

West Bromwich Albion


No Substitutions permitted in period


No Substitutions Permitted in Period


No Substitutions permitted in period


No Substitutions Permitted in Period






Not recorded


Not Recorded

Player Positions:

GK : Goalkeeper
CB, D, B : Centre Back, Defender, Back
FB, LB, RB, WH : Full Back, Left Back, Right Back, Wing Back, Wing Half

M, CH, LH, RH : Midfielder, Centre Half, Left Half, Right Half
W, OL, OR : Winger, Outside Left, Outside Right
F, IF, IL, IR : Forward, Inside Forward, Inside Left, Inside Right, Second Striker, False 9
CF : Centre Forward

Match Symbols:

⚽ | Goal
🔥 | Assist
🔁 | Substitution

🟨 | Booking

🟥 | Sending off

🆘 | Poor refereeing performance
🟢 : Debut 🔴 : Final Game




Not recorded


2021-22 Matchweek 38.jpg


Quotation Marks.png


"The sun bent over the Crystal Palace and its lovely surroundings with an affection which was just moderate enough not to be intrusive, and a gentle wind stole over the greensward of the new sporting field which the afternoon's match was to inaugurate."

*The Birmingham Daily Post*
Monday, 22 April 1895


Those persons who were fortunate enough to witness the English Cup Final at the Crystal Palace, on Saturday, will not readily forget it.

The match was brimful of interest and excitement, and the spectacle presented was brilliant.

We have never seen a final to equal it from a spectacular point of view, and despite the, enormous attendance there was not the slightest hitch or difficulty from start to finish.

The rather unusual sight was presented prior to the match of a number of persons promenading on the field of play, much as the spectators do at a cricket match between the innings, but on the ringing of a bell the ground cleared as if by magic, and everyone took up positions around the ring.

The arrangements were, in fact, perfect, and the Crystal Palace authorities deserved all the praise bestowed on them by Lord Kinnaird (president of the Football Association) when he made the presentation of the cup to Devey, the captain of the Aston Villa Club.

Although the action of the Football Association in taking the match to London has been adversely criticised - and certainly the discontented persons had good ground for complaint - yet the fact remains that the experiment has proved a great success, and we should think Saturday’s will not be the last final played on the Crystal Palace Grounds.

The match itself is described elsewhere, but, as has been said above, it was a very exciting contest.

The Villa secured a sensational goal early in the game, and although they had the best of play subsequently, and were certainly the superior team, they never scored again, securing the cup by the narrow margin of 1 goal to 0.

Though the Villa pressed considerably, the result was never safe until the referee’s whistle was heard, for it required all the cleverness and coolness of their defence to prevent the Albion from scoring.

That the better team won no one can deny, and whilst they are to be congratulated upon bringing the trophy to Birmingham for the second time, the Albion are deserving of great praise for their plucky and valiant fight.
*The Birmingham Daily Post”
Monday 22 April 1895


Saturday, at Sydenham, where the great and eagerly awaited encounter between the ultimate rivals for the English Football Cup was appointed for decision, was one of those days which come few and far between in a football season.

The sun bent over the Crystal Palace and its lovely surroundings with an affection which was just moderate enough not to be intrusive, and a gentle wind stole over the greensward of the new sporting field which the afternoon’s match was to inaugurate.

The players certainly felt it a trifle warm, but in the spectators’ interest any change for the better in the weather aspect would have been impossible to suggest.

The neighbourhood was, even in the morning, a scene of bustle. Those of the Aston Villa Committee who had not made the journey with the team on the previous evening put themselves in evidence by the early trains, and every hour saw its load of excursionists emptied upon the metropolitan platforms. The early trips from Birmingham were the most popular, and the first specials which left New Street and Snow Hill were sent off with demonstrations of excited and picturesque enthusiasm.

Those who preferred to start at what they considered a reasonable hour had more good fortune than such dilatoriness usually achieves, and, even in delaying the journey until after the normal breakfast hour, it was possible to get to the field easily and comfortably and with time to spare.

At least three hours before the commencement of the game enthusiastic sportsman were gathered in knots upon the new ground and its magnificent embankment and these were steadily augmented as each minute went by. The arrangements appeared to be excellent, and the holiday-making thousands poured steadily into the places allotted to them without hitch or confusion.

After three o’clock, when the bell had rung to clear the field of play, the scene became one of the most brilliant of its kind which anyone could witness. The new Sports Ground, to the laying out of which the Palace authorities have given such attention, is almost perfect in its construction and resources, and there was hardly a spot within its boundaries from which an adequate view of the game might not be obtained. Seen from the press stand, the crowd looked simply overwhelming, and a feature of it all, was the good-tempered ease and unalloyed comfort which those in the open and in the well-filled stands appeared equally to enjoy.

Opposite the pavilion the bank which accommodated the major portion of the sightseers held a crowd whose dimensions appeared to be conterminous with the horizon, and whose lively gaiety was delightfully picked out with the brilliant spots of colour which the sun discovered in military uniforms and feminine finery.

The attendance was estimated, with apparently some reason, at between fifty and sixty thousand, but enquiry in the evening showed that the whole number who passed the turnstiles at the Palace was 42,660, so that with a slight deduction for other attractions, it may safely be said that over 40,000 people witnessed the game.

By half-past three the concourse was quite settled down and ready for the spectacle of the day, and punctually to the minute the teams which stand for Aston Villa and West Bromwich Albion found themselves face to face in the final round of the English Cup competition for the third time in their history.

Everyone knows the story of their previous encounters, in which both teams have been taught sharply the folly of exaggerated self-confidence and disparagement of their opponents.

These things were in the mind of a good many of those who looked on at Saturday’s game, and their effect was to restrain the exuberance of undue partisanship, and induce a frame of mind in which victory would be received with sober welcome, and defeat with placid philosophy.

The Villa were naturally favourites, on the strength of their consistently superior work during the season, and their managers were prayerfully hopeful of the result.

The Albion, handicapped by the absence of their captain, were expected by their friends to make a close fight of it, and the fact that they stood so perilously near the foot of the League table was regarded as likely to have a stimulating rather than a depressing influence.

Both teams were received cordially, but without extravagant noise or fuss, and the crowd was all through one of the most orderly and sensible that could be wished for at such an encounter. They were not long to wait, however, for an ample and legitimate sensation. Bassett won the toss, and elected to play with the slight wind and an oblique sun both in his favour. The kick-off took place in perfect silence, and the ball was taken up the field in a twinkling by the Villa forwards, who all seemed as fresh as the familiar paint, and eager to make the pace a fast one.

Before most people had actually realised that the tussle was begun the sprinters were past the Albion backs, and Chatt drove the ball towards the net, Reader just managed to keep it out with his legs, but Chatt was reinforced by Hodgetts, who, registered an unmistakable goal, and the Villa were thus in front after less than one minute’s play.

This wakened everybody up and took away the breath of most, as that roar which greets a point in football, and whose meaning can never be misunderstood, resounded over the vast enclosure.

With quickened pulses the spectators now took up every little point of the game, which was being carried on at a great rate, and the Londoners became absorbed in watching football of a species which they have seldom the fortune to witness.

Incidents became plentiful, and the Villa forwards appeared on the verge of repeating their success once or twice, if they had only been able to shoot with ordinary certainty. Bassett on the other side was not idle, and one hard shot was unlucky in striking a foot or two outside of the posts.

Both teams were in good form; but the Villa were the more supple, and their combination allowed them to keep matters busy on the other side of the field.

Their superiority in manoeuvring made it quite annoying to their supporters that they did not add to the score, and Athersmith failed to improve on what appeared an ideal opportunity.

Smith at last got in cleverly, and was congratulated with a hoarse cheer, which died away at the provoking news that he had been given off-side.

Then an error of judgment among the Villa forwards gave things for the moment an altered complexion, for Higgins got the ball and sent it to Bassett, who was off like lightning, with the rest of his pack in attendance.

The Cockney crowd knew of “Albion rushes” even if it was only at second-hand, and this was what they had been waiting for. They were roused with the greatest excitement as the Albion forwards reached Welford, and carried a corner, which, like the other two following in quick succession, failed to become fruitful.

After this both sides in turn had their goal in danger, but fate would not allow either to prevail, and good saving, bad shooting, and perverse luck made the score remain stationary.

Bassett was working like a Trojan for his side, and the Villa supporters held their breath once or twice as they followed his active movements.

Just before half-time, Devey and Higgins came crashing into each other in trying to head the ball, and the latter remained on the ground, while a couple of doctors hastened from the pavilion. Nothing very serious had taken place, however, and after a short stoppage to ascertain this the interval was reached, and the usual breathing time afforded.

When the second half began, the chances were strongly that the Villa, with all the natural conditions now in their favour, would keep the mastery.

Their preponderance seemed to have been increased in a way that would have been much deplored when it was seen that the Albion had returned with only ten men, but in a few moments Higgins, with his head in bandages, resumed his place amid loud cheering, which he more than justified by his after play.

The Villa once more began with a vigorous attack, which was as doggedly contained as it was provokingly futile. One after another the players tried to score and when the inevitable openings occurred, the Albion right wing, composed of Bassett and McLeod, was always on tip-toe to act on the aggressive.

This, repeated ad libitum, was the history of the larger portion of the second half.

To recount all the shots that missed would fill a book, and the Villa cannot look back on their form as shown in the goal-mouth with anything like genuine complacency.

The game gradually slowed down, and the Albion, with a few notable exceptions, like Bassett, Higgins, and Reader, began to lose their grip. They had one man, however, whose play should be remembered when all else connected with the game is forgotten, and that was Bassett, who showed himself once more the most dauntless and stout-hearted forward in England. Again and again he dashed away in his own inimitable style, and every time the supporters of the Albion knew their enemy trembled. Once he got so near that a blunder by Wilkes almost gave a deadly chance to equalise score, and the position was only saved by a corner.

Ten minutes before the end, shouts of “Play up, Albion” began to come from the bank where the Black Country contingent were chiefly massed together, and the team responded with a rush that looked very much like business until Chatt relieved the pressure.

Then back the tide surged to the Albion goal, and a few more wild shots were planted everywhere but inside. Bassett’s opportunity came, as usual, and, getting off by himself amid great excitement, he beat everyone but the goalkeeper, whom he would also, but for the want of support, have circumvented.

The time was all but completed, and prudent spectators began to move in advance of the expected crush. One more forlorn hope from Bassett, who was stopped by Welford on the wing and the referee’s whistle announced that the game was over.

The cheering at the Villa’s success was loud, hearty, and unanimous.

The crowd were delighted with the play they had seen, and pleased that the better team had won; and they crowded round the front of the pavilion to see the cup presented to the Villa captain. Lord Kinnaird complimented the team and Devey personally and in answer to persistent calls, held up at arms length, amid some good-natured laughter, the modest looking trophy about which so much excitement has prevailed for the last two months.

Devey said a few words in reply, which were no doubt audible to those in the immediate vicinity; and a notable gathering dispersed in which everyone, whatever his feelings at the result, must have felt amply repaid for his visit with the enjoyment of a splendid game and a magnificent outing.

It was twenty minutes past three o’clock when John Devey led the Villa players on to the field, and a few minutes later they were followed by the Albion eleven, both teams met with a very heart reception, but the Villa had evidently the greater following.

The officials were quickly in attendance, and it was barely half-past three when Devey and Bassett tossed for choice of position. The latter won, and a yell of delight from the Black Country men present greeted his success, for Bassett was enabled to defend the south goal, which gave the Albion the advantage of wind and sun - an advantage which many thought might enable the West Bromwich players to secure the lead in the first half, and keep it.

No one was, indeed, prepared for, the sensational start that happened.

The ball was kicked off by Devey, some neat passing by Hodgetts and Smith carried it close to the Albion goal, and the former then touched it to Athersmith. The latter ran in a few yards and then centred to Chatt, who made a most determined rush for goal, and shot. Reader had no time to-kick the ball, but he had instinctively run out to meet Chatt and the ball struck his legs and cannoned out to Hodgetts, who touched it into the net amidst tremendous cheering.

All this had happened well within a minute and it was the very suddenness of the attack that surprised the Albion defenders. Like the spectators they were not prepared for such resolute play at the start; had they been they would probably have check-mated the attack, for during the remainder of the match several of a similar character were made upon their goal, which was never carried again.

To many people the Villa’s sudden success promised an easy victory; and it certainly appeared as if these anticipations would prove correct, when, two minutes later, Chatt - whose light hair was conspicuous amongst his fellows - headed another determined rush on the Albion goal, and sent in a terrific shot, but Reader managed to divert the course of the ball, which just passed out. The corner-kick was accurately taken, but no advantage followed it.

By this time the Albion players had fairly found their feet, and they caused the Villa supporters no end of anxiety by several determined rushes. One by the left wing was particularly dangerous, for Hutchinson and Banks ran the ball well down, and the latter centred it beautifully. Bassett all the time had been keeping line with his companions, and when he was seen to be closing in at a capital angle for scoring the excitement was intense. He seemed as though he must reach the ball before an opponent, but Russell just beat him in the race, and cleared the ball away before he was charged down.

Then followed a beautiful effort on the part of the Villa sprinter. Receiving an opportune pass from Chatt - who was playing the best game we have seen him play this season dashed past both the backs - he ran the ball close into goal, steadied himself, and shot. Cries of “Goal” were raised but proved to be premature, for the ball had just passed wide of the far post, Athersmith in his anxiety to place it out of Reader’s reach having just failed to judge the proper angle. It was a grand bit of play, however, and was deservedly cheered.

The Villa were soon attacking again, and from a free kick given against Williams for jumping at Athersmith the ball was kicked accurately in front of the Albion goal, and a prolonged tussle, in which Chatt was very busy, ended in a corner-kick, but Athersmith placed the ball behind the goal.

There could be no denying that so far the Villa had had distinctly the best of the play, and the next few minutes saw them almost constantly on the attack, but they were met by a brilliant defence, both Williams and Horton playing a a grand game.

Once the Villa put the ball past Reader, but Smith, who took the final shot, was given offside, and the Perry Barr players were only credited with their one point obtained so sensationally at the commencement, when McLeod and Bassett got well away, and a grand centre from the latter came right across goal to Banks, who was finely placed for shooting, but aimed yards too high.

However, only a minute or so had elapsed when Bassett again aroused the enthusiasm of the crowd by one of his characteristic dashes, and he a was getting very close to the Villa goal when he was tripped. The free kick was nicely judged, and the Villa defence was severely taxed, no fewer than three corner kicks being conceded to the Albion, and on the occasion of the taking of each there was a desperate rally under the Villa crossbar.

The Villa defence was impregnable, however, and a run by Athersmith completely changed the scene, for the Albion goal was immediately afterwards at the mercy of Devey, who missed a lovely centre from the right. The players on that wing of the Villa front line were certainly performing exceedingly well, and Chatt made many beautiful little touches to Athersmith, whose centres nearly always came into goal. Three times at least in the next five minutes Reader was sorely pressed, and how he saved his goal on two occasions is a difficult question to answer. However, save it he did, and the spectators, who had previously had an opportunity of witnessing Athersmith’s fine sprints, were now treated to a similar exhibition by Bassett. The latter player commenced a succession of brilliant runs, and on one occasion screwed in a fine shot, but unfortunately for his side, the ball struck the crossbar and rebounded behind two of the Albion forwards, who had dashed in to receive it. Ere they could check their course the ball had been kicked out of danger.

The Albion, nothing daunted, returned to the assault, and Wilkes, who so far had had little to do as compared with Reader, stopped a good shot from the Albion Ieft, and a minute or two later prevented Bassett from scoring.

The Albion were now seen at a greater advantage than at any other period of the game, but they found the Villa defence very sound. The three halves were always dogging the footsteps of the Albion forwards, and Bassett was very closely watched by Russell and Welford, whilst Reynolds easily held his wing in check.

Spencer and Welford, too, were cool and collected in every difficulty, and the consequence was that the Albion could not get level, and, although they had had the advantage of wind and sun were in the minority of a goal at the interval.

After an absence of ten minutes, the teams again took the field, looking all the better for their brief rest. It was at once noticed that the Albion were short of Higgins, who had been injured about two minutes before half-time in a collision with Devey.

Both players had attempted to head the ball, and, their heads coming together, Higgins had sustained a nasty cut. He was not absent long, however, and when he reappeared with his head bandaged he was warmly applauded by the crowd.

That bandaged head subsequently made Higgins the most conspicuous player on the field, and every time he did some smart work the crowd never forgot to cheer him; and the cheering was frequent, for Higgins subsequently gave a magnificent display.

Of course, it was only to be expected that the great pace of the first half and the heat of the sun would tell its tale on the players, and that they felt the effects of their previous efforts was apparent at the commencement of the second half.

The pace was slower than before, but the wind enabled the Villa to attack, and for the first ten minutes or so the Albion rarely crossed the centre line. When they did they were invariably checked by Spencer or Welford, and the fight, generally speaking, was waged around the Albion goal.

Time after time Reynolds and Cowan placed the ball well in front, but the Villa shooting was not as good as it might have been, and the passing of the forwards was not well timed and accurate.

Of course it must be borne in mind that the Albion backs were playing irreproachably, whilst Tom Perry and Higgins were putting in any amount of excellent work.

During all this time the spectators, the majority of whom were apparently anxious to see the Albion equalise, in the hope that the game would be made more exciting, were waiting for one of Bassett’s runs, and at length it came.

Some clever manoeuvring between McLeod and Bassett gave the latter his desired opportunity, and he raced off like a greyhound past Russell and Welford. Matters looked dangerous, but fortunately Spencer had seen the danger, and dashing across the field tackled Bassett with his usual skill, and robbed the international forward of the ball. It was a very clever bit of play on the part of the Villa back, and deserved the loud applause which greeted it.

The Villa were soon pressing again, and, thanks to the admirable play of their half-backs, were enabled to keep on the attack for another prolonged spell, but they were again deficient in shooting ability, and had not increased their score when an event happened that might have ended in disaster.

The Albion right wing again broke away, and the ball was passed in front by McLeod. Wilkes came running out of goal, but hesitated an instant and allowed Bassett to get up. Both men fell, and the ball was rolling near goal when Spencer dashed across and wisely gave a corner kick. This was not improved upon, and play was soon taking place again at the other end of the field, the Albion goal once more being subjected to severe pressure; but Reader saved finely on many occasions.

At length a centre by Smith gave Devey a grand opening, and his shot, quite a characteristic one, was so close that many thought it had scored. Athersmith next shot into Reader’s hands, and then Spencer was cheered for what was perhaps the finest bit of defensive work in the match, displaying therein tackling and judgment worthy of a veteran.

Time was drawing to an end, and Bassett realising this made a grand individual effort to score, taking the ball from one end of the field to the other. To pass his opponents, however, he had been compelled to cross to the left wing and their Spencer harassed him so that he could do nothing but centre. The ball came right across the goal mouth, but Bassett had outstripped all his companions, and his fine effort was of no avail.

Reader again proved his skill by stopping two good shots from Chatt and Cowan, and, with only about three minutes to play, Bassett made another despairing effort to equalise, but was quickly pulled up by Welford, who kicked the ball into touch.

The spectators hooted, but Welford deserved praise, for he did the right thing for his side. This was the Albion’s last effort, for a moment later the referee blew his whistle and the Villa retired victorious by one goal to nil.

The following were the teams :-

Aston Villa: Wilkes, goal; Spencer and Welford, backs; Reynolds, Cowan, and Russell, half-backs; Athersmith and Chatt (right), Devey (centre), Hodgetts and Smith (left wing), forwards.

West Bromwich Albion: Reader, goal, Horton and Williams, backs; T. Perry, Higgins, and Taggart, half-backs; Bassett and McLeod (right).; Richards (centre), Hutchinson and Banks (left wing) forwards).

Referee, Mr. J. Lewis, Blackburn.
Linesmen, Messrs. J. Howcroft and R. E. Lithgoe.

From a scientific point of view the play was inferior to that witnessed in the semi-final which took place at Blackburn between the Villa and Sunderland.

This deficiency, however, was more than atoned for by the presence of much excitement; for, although the Villa had the balance of play and deserved their victory, there was always a chance, even up to the last five minutes of the match, that the Albion would draw level.

Play was extremely interesting in the first half although, taken on the whole, the Villa had certainly the best of matters, and Reader must have had three shots to stop where Wilkes had one.

The Albion goal-keeper was in splendid form, and could in no way be blamed for the downfall of his goal within the first minute. It was the surprising fierceness and suddenness of the attack that carried the goal. Reader had no time to get his hands to the shot from Chatt; he could only stop the ball, and Hodgetts, who was well placed for the rebound, touched into, the far side of the net.

Wilkes saved several very dangerous shots in the first half, but in the second had little to do, although his hesitancy on one occasion nearly let the Albion in.

The, backs on each side gave a magnificent display, Spencer tackling and kicking with perfect judgement whilst Welford was very safe, and time after time pulled up Bassett and McLeod grandly.

Horton rendered an excellent account of himself as the Albion right back, whilst Williams was a brilliant defender.

In the matter of half-backs the Villa were certainly superior to their opponents, although Higgins played grandly for the Albion, despite the severe injury which he received to his head just before the interval.

Reynolds has never been seen to greater advantage, his clever tricks and his great command over the ball being greatly admired by the spectators.

Cowan performed in his usual determined manner, contributing any amount of invaluable assistance both in attack and defence; whilst Russell, who had a special mission to perform, namely, to watch Bassett, acquitted himself very satisfactorily.

T. Perry worked very well for the Albion, but Taggart was repeatedly beaten by Athersmith’s speed.

Chatt distinguished himself greatly at the commencement of the match, and the Villa goal was in no small degree attributable to his fearless rushing. He never spared himself round goal, and was frequently a source of great trouble to Reader.

Athersmith made many fine runs and centres, while Devey fed his wing capitally.

Hodgetts played well in the field, but Smith was not as conspicuous as usual, for the reason that he was always well watched. Whenever he got the ball T. Perry and Horton were always near him, and generally prevented him from shooting.

The Albion forwards, an a whole, were not seen to very great advantage, but Bassett and McLeod gave a grand exhibition, and nearly the whole of the attacks came from this wing, Their, plucky endeavours to retrieve the fortunes of their side won them the golden opinions of the spectators, and they were loudly cheered when they left the field.
*The Birmingham Daily Post*
Tuesday 23 April 1895

The Villa team came home to Birmingham from London yesterday by the Great Western train arriving at Snow Hill Station at 12.42.

A crowd commenced to congregate round the station shortly after noon, and the traffic in Livery Street was seriously impeded.

A large body of police guarded the station entrances, and only prominent members of the club were allowed to go on to the platform.

A band who had driven to the station in a char-a-bang commenced to play “See the conquering hero come” as the train entered the station, and the players (Devey carrying the cup) met with a hearty reception as they left the saloon.

They were warmly welcomed by the president of the Club. Mr. Joseph Ansell, and Mr. Ramsay (secretary).

The team entered a char-a-bang, decorated with the Villa colours, and, accompanied by the band in a second vehicle, drove through the principal streets of the city, followed by an enthusiastic crowd.

The team were afterwards driven to the clubhouse, in Albert Road, Aston, where a dinner was held, under the presidency of Mr. J. Ansell. Among others there were present Messrs. Cooper, Whitehouse, McGregor, and Dr. Vincent Jones (vice-presidents), the members of the committee, Mr. Ramsay (secretary), and Grierson (trainer).

The President, in proposing ”The Team” said he wished to cordially thank all the players on behalf of the club for the sportsmanlike and enthusiastic manner in which they had played throughout the season. It was due chiefly, if not wholly, to them that the club stood in the high position of holders of the English Cup, and he was indeed proud of his connection with them. He should have much pleasure in giving the secretary for distribution the twelve guineas which he had promised the team if they won the cup.

He heard with pleasure that their conduct during the London trip had been unimpeachable. Although they could not now win the English League cup, their position was a very high one, and if they well won the match against Everton, on Wednesday, I understood that their goal-average would be better than that of any. other club.

When every player had done so well, it would be unfair to individualise, but he could not let the occasion pass without giving their captain, Devey, a word of praise. (Hear, hear.) The way in which he had piloted his men to victory could not be surpassed - The cup was then filled with champagne and the toast was given with enthusiasm.

Devey, in responding, thanked the president and the committee for their courtesy, and the president again for his handsome present. He could not express the pleasure he felt at his team winning the English Cup, nor could he say too much in praise of the treatment the team had received at the hands of the committee. As to his duties in the capacity of captain they were very light indeed, for his men did everything they could to please him. (Loud applause).

The Chairman then gave ”The Committee” praise. Their duties, he said, were very arduous, and he looked upon the amount of work they got through with amazement .- Mr. Margoschis replied, and also gave “The President.””- The other toasts were “The Vice-Presidents,” ”The English Association and Mr. McGregor,” “the trainer, Grierson” and “George Russell” for the plucky manner in which be repulsed the attack of the West Bromwich Albion right wing forwards on Saturday ; and “The Internationals” Mr. McGregor told the team, to be sure to defeat the Albion again in the competition for the Birmingham Cup. - The company then separated.

Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. With thanks to Trinity Mirror. Digitised by Findmypast Newspaper Archive Limited. All rights reserved. Source: British Newspaper Archive (