Game #143

Football League

Wellington Road, Perry Barr

Attendance: 10,000

Saturday, 16 April 1892


Aston Villa


Preston North End

Scorer(s) | Billy Dickson | Billy Dickson | Jack Devey |

Assists(s) | Not recorded


Game #143

Season | 1891-92 |
Matchday | #30 |
League Match | #25 |
Manager Game | #117 |
Saturday, 16 April 1892


Manager | George Ramsay led Management Committee |
FT Score | 3-1 |
FT Result | Won |
Last 5 Games | WLLWW |


Starting XI Average Age
| 26.34 |

Oldest Player |
D Harry Devey | 32.12 |

Youngest Player |
W Charlie Athersmith | 19.95 |


John Baird and Charlie Hare drop out from the team that beat Bolton the previous match and are replaced by Dennis Hodgetts and Walter Evans.


Not recorded


Not recorded





GK Ted Diver |
D Gershom Cox |
CB Jimmy Cowan |
D Harry Devey |
FB Walter Evans |
M George Campbell |
W Lewis Campbell |
W Charlie Athersmith |
F Dennis Hodgetts |
F Jack Devey |
CF Billy Dickson |


ex: Also played for the Villa

g: Scored

s/o: Sent off

s-: Sub off; s+: Sub on


No Substitutions permitted in period


No Substitutions permitted in period


[Exact timings not recorded]
Goal, 1-0, Billy Dickson
Goal, 2-0, Billy Dickson
HT Aston Villa 2-0 Preston North End
Goal, 2-1, (Preston North End)
Goal, 3-1, Jack Devey
FT Aston Villa 3-1 Preston North End


Villa secure a second successive win to consolidate 4th place.


Jack Devey, scored direct from a free kick, Saturday, 16 April 1892


*The Birmingham Daily Post*
Monday 18 April 1892



The Aston Villa played their twenty-fifth League contest at Perry Barr, their opponents being the famous North End team. The weather was fine, and fully ten thousand persons witnessed the match.

As is well known, the Villa won by 3 goals to 1, and thoroughly deserved their victory, for they completely overplayed the visitors, and, but for the grand defence of Trainor, Holmes, and N. J. Ross, would have run up a much greater score.

In the first half the superiority of the home team was most manifest and the one-sided character of the play can be judged from the fact that Diver only touched the ball once, whereas Trainor had a great many shots to 5 stop. He kept goal, as he usually does; magnificently, but despite his vigilance the Villa managed to score twice.

In the second half the North End men shoved a decided improvement, but they were never as good in front as the Villa were. Drummond, however, scored a beautiful goal about twenty minutes after re-commencing, and for a long time the Villa were only leading by one point.

A few minutes before time, however, the Villa were awarded a free kick near goal. It was taken by J. Devey, who shot hard and low at Trainor. The latter endeavoured to stop the ball, but failed, and as it therefore brushed his legs in its passage into the net, a goal was awarded to the Villa by the referee, Mr. Louis Ford, who, it should be mentioned, acted in a most fair and capable manner throughout the course of the game.

Drummond started the ball towards the Wellington Road, and some even play was witnessed, Trainor at the one end and Diver at the other saving splendidly.

Some grand passing between the Villa right-wing men resulted in a corner, which, although productive of some exciting play, yielded no definite result.

The game was then unfortunately stopped by an accident which happened to N. J. Ross. He and Dickson collided in the centre of the field, and the latter fell, but in falling knocked Ross's legs from under him, and the North End back was carried off the field suffering from an injured ankle.

Drummond left the forward ranks and went back. North End were thus placed at an immense disadvantage, and the Villa at once began to press.

A corner-kick, well taken by Athersmith, was the cause of an exciting tussle; but the North End defence proved equal to the demands made upon it, and the Villa were compelled to retire.

They soon returned to the attack, however, but Louis Campbell shot the ball out. Trainor was several times, cheered for his admirable defence, and he was, needless to say, grandly supported by the backs.

After about a quarter of an hour's absence, Ross senior resumed playing, and received a hearty reception.

Soon after his return H.L Devey centred finely, and Dickson scrimmaged the ball past Trainor amidst loud cheering. Then Athersmith centred, and L. Campbell shot the ball through for a second time, but on appeal was given offside. It did not matter much, however, as a moment afterwards J. Devey shot in, and Dickson scored a legitimate point.

Flushed with success the Villa played. up with great dash, and a splendid centre by L. Campbell caused the defence great anxiety, which was relieved when Athersmith shot the ball out.

Still pressing the Villa gained two corners in as many minutes, but failed to break through again. There could be no doubt that the Villa were playing the much the finer game, and it was quite refreshing to see the grand passing of the forwards, after the miserable display of the previous week They pressed persistently, and their shooting was especially fine; but Trainor was perfection itself in goal, and saved grandly time after time. To his fine goalkeeping it was entirely due that the Villa failed to score again, and were only leading by 2 goals to 0 when the interval arrived.

On changing over Trainor met with a very hearty reception from the crowd.

The Villa commenced attacking again, and in the first five minutes Trainer saved two capital shots.

Then the visitors went to the other end but found Cox and Evans too strong for them. Some good combined play amongst the Villa forwards enabled them to again visit the North End goal, and N. J. Ross conceded a corner kick, which, however, came to nothing.

Then North End, who had so far shown decided improvement in their play, ran well up to the Villa goal, and Cox, hotly pressed, gave a corner-kick. It was well placed by Gordon, but the Villa defence emerged successful from an exciting tussle in the goal mouth.

The Villa then got a corner-kick, but could not score - and Gordon racing away carried the ball over the line.

A minute or two later the same player raced away again, and shot in beautifully, but Diver saved.

Down came the Villa again, and Athersmith sent in a perfect scorcher, which was, however, a few inches wide of the post.

Another attack resulted in a corner-kick, but the goal was kept intact by the backs, who were playing faultlessly.

At length, however, the Villa got the ball through, but Dickson was very properly given off-side. A couple of corners now fell to the home side, but they could not further improve their position on account of Trainor's splendid goalkeeping.- Holmes stopped Hodgetts in full flight for goal by a clever piece of tackling, and then Gordon galloped away up the right wing, but centred outside.

After the Villa had made a fruitless attack the North land ran up the field, and Drummond, with a low swift shot scored their first goal. It was a splendid bit of play, and fully deserved to succeed.

A high shot from Hodgetts forced Trainor to give another corner, but Holmes cleared his goal in excellent style.

From a free-kick for a foul J. Devey scored a third goal for the Villa, the ball, which had not previously been touched by any player, striking Trainor's legs in its passage through goal.

The Villa continued to hold the upper hand until the finish, but failed to score again, and thus won by 3 goals to 1.