Aston Villa



Scorer(s) | Charlie Athersmith

Assists(s) | Not recorded

Game #207

Division One

Wellington Road, Perry Barr

Attendance: 15,000

Monday, 26 March 1894



Game #207

Season | 1893-94 |
Matchday | #32 |
League Match | #28 |
Manager Game | #182 |
Monday, 26 March 1894


Manager | George Ramsay led Management Committee |
FT Score | 1-1 |
FT Result | Drew |
Last 5 Games | WLLWD |


Starting XI Average Age
| 25.02 |

Oldest Player |
F Dennis Hodgetts | 30.35 |

Youngest Player |
W Steve Smith | 20.21 |


Villa name an unchanged line up from the team that beat Blackburn last time out.


Not recorded


Not recorded


"The Villa attacked much more frequently than their visitors, and but for bad shooting would have won comfortably, and have made the League championship their own."



Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 00.17.05.png


GK Bill Dunning |
D John Baird |
CB Jimmy Cowan |
FB Jim Elliott |
M Jack Reynolds |
M Willie Groves |
W Charlie Athersmith |
W Steve Smith |
F Bob Chatt |
F Jack Devey |
F Dennis Hodgetts |


ex: Also played for the Villa

g: Scored

s/o: Sent off

s-: Sub off; s+: Sub on


No Substitutions permitted in period


No Substitutions permitted in period


[Exact timings not recorded]
Goal, 1-0, Charlie Athersmith, Assist by Dennis Hodgetts
HT Aston Villa 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Goal, 1-1, (Wolverhampton Wanderers, pen)
FT Aston Villa 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers


Villa failed to win against local rivals Wolves but place themselves in an unassailable position at the top of the League with two games to play.


Charlie Athersmith, scored the opener, Monday, 26 March 1894


*The Birmingham Daily Post*
Tuesday 27 March 1894



The return League contest between these clubs was played at Perry Barr, in brilliant weather, and in the presence of about fourteen thousand spectators.

The Villa were represented by the eleven players who defeated Blackburn Rovers, whilst the Wanderers’ eleven was identical with that beaten at Everton on Saturday.

A fast and exciting game was witnessed, but the Villa attacked much more frequently than their visitors, and but for bad shooting would have won comfortably, and have made the League championship their own.

As it was the game was drawn, each side scoring a goal. The Villa cannot now be passed by any other club in the competition, but if Sunderland win all their remaining matches, and the Villa lose theirs, each will have an equal number of points.

As before stated, bad shooting prevented the Villa from winning, and, strange to say, Chatt, who is usually so deadly in front of goal, was one of the principal offenders.

In the second half he had the goal at his mercy, but by some means or other succeeded in kicking the ball out.

In the field, however, he played very well, as did the other Villa forwards.

Athersmith was a vastly improved forward, and centred grandly. The half-backs were very safe, and so were the backs and goal-keeper, but Elliott unfortunately tripped Wykes in the second half, and the penalty-kick which resulted enabled the Wanderers to equalise.

The visitors played very stubbornly, and their defence was exceptionally fine, Baugh, Swift, and Hassall working magnificently. The half-backs also were good, and the forwards played in a dashing and deter- mined manner.

Swift won the toss, and placed his men facing the Wellington Road goal, with the sun shining behind them.

Devey kicked off, and the Villa forwards, playing splendidly, ran the ball up, and for three minutes the Wanderers’ goal was in peril, but escaped capture.

Then the Wanderers came with a rush, and forced a corner kick, but Chatt cleared, and Devey was rushing away when he had the misfortune to foul the ball.

From the free-kick a fine shot was sent into goal, but Dunning saved amidst loud cheering.

After some midfield play, Hodgetts made a beautiful pass to Smith, who appeared likely to score, but failed to dribble by the last man, and the chance was lost.

A good shot by Athersmith forced a corner-kick, but it came to nothing, and the Wanderers then attacked, but Wykes spoiled the attempt by shooting outside. The same player atoned for his mistake a moment later by placing the ball beautifully in front of goal, but Griffin made a poor attempt.

The game was very fast, and the Wolverhampton goal now had a marvellous escape, Athersmith hitting the cross-bar from a fine return by Hassall, who had just saved a shot from Chatt.

The Villa so far had had distinctly the best of the game, and the play of the forwards contrasted favourably with their exhibition on Saturday.

Some pretty passing between Black and Wykes now gave the Wanderers the attack, and the last-named player centred splendidly, but Gritfin headed into Dunning’s hands.

The Villa pressed hotly, and from a long centre by Hodgetts Athersmith rushed the ball into the net.

From the centre kick the visitors made two hot attacks, but Dunning kept his goal safe.

The Villa attacked again, and were still pressing when the interval arrived, The game was then 1 goal to 0 in their favour.

On restarting Wykes made a capital run, but shot out-side, and then the Villa rushed the ball down, and were awarded a foul close in. The kick was finely placed by Baird, and an exciting scrimmage took place in the goal mouth, but Hassall got the ball away.

Then a centre from Smith came right across the front, but Chatt failed to get the ball.

A capital attack by the Wanderers was spoiled by the good tackling of Baird, but, returning, they forced a corner, which Reynolds rendered useless.

Some beautiful passing by Hodgetts and Smith gave the Villa a strong attack, but Chatt unfortunately got off-side.

The next moment Hassall saved brilliantly, amidst loud cheering.

Chatt now made a very bad rmistake, shooting outside when he had the goal at his mercy. Baugh saved brilliantly, and a further attack by the Villa was finished through Reynolds shooting out.

The Villa were now attacking most persistently, and from a corner-kick, well taken by Athersmith, Cowan just headed over the bar.

An exciting tussle in the Wolverhampton goalmouth was next witnessed, but the Villa could not get the ball through, and directly afterwards Dunning prevented a good shot from Edge taking effect.

A minute later Elliott tripped Wykes badly, and the referee awarded the Wanderers a penalty-kick, which was taken by Kinsey, who successfully put the ball into the net.

The game then became most exciting, and Dunning saved marvellously well, although charged down by the Wanderers. During the few minutes that remained the Villa made desperate efforts to score, but failed, and the game ended in a draw of 1 goal each.