Game #130

Football League

Wellington Road, Perry Barr

Attendance: 14,000

Monday, 28 December 1891


Aston Villa



Scorer(s) | Jack Devey | Dennis Hodgetts | Jack Devey |

Assists(s) | Not recorded


Game #130

Season | 1891-92 |
Matchday | #17 |
League Match | #17 |
Manager Game | #104 |
Monday, 28 December 1891


Manager | George Ramsay led Management Committee |
FT Score | 3-4 |
FT Result | Lost |
Last 5 Games | LWLWL |


Starting XI Average Age
| 23.82 |

Oldest Player |
F Dennis Hodgetts | 28.10 |

Youngest Player |
W Charlie Athersmith | 19.65 |


Harry Devey drops out with James Brown returning.


Not recorded


Not recorded


"They have never played a finer game against odds than they did yesterday."




GK Albert Hinchley |
CB Jimmy Cowan |
FB Walter Evans |
D John Baird |
M James Brown |
M George Campbell |
W Lewis Campbell |
W Charlie Athersmith |
F Jack Devey |
F Dennis Hodgetts |
CF Billy Dickson |


ex: Also played for the Villa

g: Scored

s/o: Sent off

s-: Sub off; s+: Sub on


No Substitutions permitted in period


No Substitutions permitted in period


[Exact timings not recorded]
20’ Goal, 0-1, (Everton)
25’ Goal, 0-2, (Everton)
Goal, 0-3, (Everton)
HT Aston Villa 0-3 Everton
50’ Goal, 1-3, Jack Devey, Assist by James Brown
52’ Goal, 2-3, Dennis Hodgetts
Goal, 2-4, (Everton)
Goal, 3-4, Jack Devey
FT Aston Villa 3-4 Everton


Villa lose a Christmas cracker 4-3 to Everton.


Jack Devey, scored a brace but it was not enough to see off Everton, Monday, 28 December 1891


*The Birmingham Daily Post*
Tuesday 29 December 1891



One of the most exciting games ever witnessed at Perry Barr took place yesterday. The local team were pitted against Everton, and the prospect of a good match brought together about twelve thousand persons.

The recent form displayed by the respective clubs pointed to the victory of the Villa, but so well did the visitors play that they upset all predictions by defeating the home team by 4 goals to 3.

This victory was never secure until the finish, and, during the second half the crowd were kept in a constant state of excitement.

In the first half the Everton took a decided lead, for they scored 3 goals, whilst the Villa did not obtain a single point.

The Everton were not very much superior in the outfield to the Villa, but near goal their shooting was more deadly. However, their goal record should not have been so great by at least a point at half-tame, for one of the scores was the result of a palpable mistake made by Hinchley.

Being three goals in arrears the Villa's chances were very small, but in the second half they played a great game. Going away strongly, they scored two goals in seven minutes, and had all their chances been taken they would have won.

A mistake in the back division let Millward in, and he placed a fourth goal to Everton's credit.

Still the match was not over, instead of being disheartened, the Villa strove their very utmost. They succeeded in scoring a third goal, and kept up such a hot attack that the visitors' victory was never assured until the finish of the game.

The hard game in the mud told terribly upon the players towards the end, and all the men must have been very glad when the game was over.

The second half's football was a brilliant exposition by the Villa, and had they only played at the start in the same way they would have secured the victory.

They have never played a finer game against odds than they did yesterday.

The backs were very sound, the half-backs did finely, and the forwards, with the exception of Dickson, who was a trifle slow, did splendidly, Devey and Athersmith working most indefatigably.

The Everton men played downhill in the first half, and the game was fairly even. Both goals had several narrow escapes, and Hinchley soon saved two splendid shots which had well-nigh been fatal. On the second occasion the ball rolled all along the goal-line before he could reach it to kick it out of danger. The Everton, who seemed more at home in the mud, kept the ball in the Villa's half, and again got dangerously near the goal, but Baird came to the rescue, and the Villa front rank worked their way up the field. L. Campbell was entrusted with the centre, but he unfortunately placed the ball outside.

Once again the Villa got up, and Hodgetts ran through the backs, and entrusted the ball to Devey, but he shot too high. From the goal-kick the Everton left wing men worked their way down, and a fine shot was made by Millward, but o Hinchley saved, although he shaped very badly. A similar attack was made a moment later, and Millward, dashing up just in time, scored the first goal for the visitors.

The latter continued to play splendidly, and in about five minutes got through again, a long shot from J Wylie completely taking Hinchley by surprise.

The game was only twenty-five minutes old, and- there can be no denying that, so far, Everton had shown the better form, and thoroughly deserved to lead.

Hinchley had played very indifferently during the last few minutes. At length the Villa forwards got away inline, and Devey passed prettily to Athersmith, who centred splendidly, and Hodgetts had an opening. It was a grand chance, such as rarely occurs in a game, but the Villa man's shot was a few inches wide.

Passing in capital form, the Everton forwards got down the field, and a couple of long shots went wide. Then a long shot which would have passed out was stopped feebly by Hinchley, and Latta rushing in managed to centre to Maxwell, who placed another goal to the credit of his side.

The point was undoubtedly the result of bad judgment on the part of Hinchley, who ought to have let the ball to go out.

The Villa forwards now played better than before, and L. Campbell, dodging Earp, gave his side a grand centre, but they could not avail themselves of the opportunity.

Devey next looked likely to get through, but was pulled up by Howarth just in time, and Everton were soon attacking again.

Their forwards played exceptionally well, but were driven back, and the Villa now had a look in, but Hodgetts's final shot hit the post, and a moment later Devey shot over the bar.

This was the last effort of either side, for immediately the ball went out the referee blew his whistle, and the teams took a well-deserved rest.

In the interval the Villa changed their jerseys, and appeared clad in white.

They rushed off at once from the centre kick, and Athersmith, although floored by Howarth, managed to pass the ball to Dickson, who was, however, too slow to avail himself of the opportunity, which was accordingly lost.

Everton then became dangerous, but Baird cleverly stopped their rush, and Dickson tried a sprint, but although he beat his men he was too tired to dash in, and Howarth kicked away.

Not to be denied, the Villa came with a fine rush, Athersmith being conspicuous for the game way in which he played. Near goal Brown passed to Devey, and he scored for the Vila amidst tremendous cheering.

Two minutes later, or seven minutes from half-time, the Villa again came, and, amidst the greatest enthusiasm Hodgetts scored a second for the home team.

The Villa were now playing magnificently, and their forwards passed with wonderful precision.

A grand shot by Louis Campbell only just went out, and there was an evident determination on the part of all the team to retrieve their losses in the first half.

Again the Villa came down the field, and Williams had another fine shot to stop. Some fine passing by the visitors' left wing resulted in a goal being scored by Millward. Still the Villa did not despair, and were again becoming dangerous, when Howarth tripped Athersmith.

Nothing resulted from the free kick. A moment later, however, the Villa were again pressing. and the Everton defence had a very anxious time of it ; but they successfully weathered the attack, and then Millward and Chadwick were applauded for some splendid passing, but they only managed to put the ball on the wrong side of the posts.

Athersmith was conspicuous for a fine run and shot, but the ball passed over the bar. The other goal was soon attacked, but Everton met with no success. Continuing to press, however, they gained a corner-kick, but it was weakly taken, and the ball then travelled to the other end, where Devey and Dickson tried shots; only a corner-kick resulted, and the next moment the other side were found attacking, but they carried the ball out.

Then the Villa came with another rush, but Dickson lost a really fine chance by shooting out.

At the other lend Everton did similarly. Latta shooting wide. The spectators were now aroused to a perfect fever heat of excitement, as Louis Campbell, who received the ball from his fellow countryman, G. Campbell, raced straight away for goal, with only the backs before him. At the right moment he centred to Devey, and he managed to dash through and score a third goal for the Villa.

The latter club, cheered by the spectators, played most resolutely, and the game was one of the most exciting ever witnessed.

At length Everton raised the siege, and Evans kicking out, gave a corner-kick. The ball was got away, but Everton had two or three shots which went wide.

From one of the goal - kicks Athersmith made a fine run, and centred, but Williams threw the ball away. It came to Dickson but he waited until the backs were on him.

A minute afterwards another attack was made, but did not succeed, and a despairing effort from a corner- kick yielded no result.

Before the ball could be kicked from goal the referee blew his whistle, and the Everton team thus retired victors by 4 goals to 3.