Game #4983

Season | 2007-08 |

Matchday | #8 |
Manager Game | #50 |     
Wednesday, 26 September 2007
League Cup | 3rd Round | Home | Leicester City | Villa Park | 25,956 | 

Game Summary

Manager | Martin O’Neill |

KO | 19.45 |
Referee | Lee Mason | 

HT Score | 0-1 |
FT Score | 0-1 |

FT Result | Lost |

Last 5 Games | WWLWL | 

Line Up |

GK Stuart Taylor |
CB Olof Mellberg |
CB Zat Knight |
CB Curtis Davies |
DEBUT | SUB OFF | 80' |
M Gareth Barry |
M Nigel Reo-Coker |
M Stiliyan Petrov |
M Shaun Maloney |
M Isaiah Osbourne |
SUB OFF | 71' |
CF Marlon Harewood | SUB OFF | 77' |
F Gabby Agbonlahor |

Substitutes |

W Ashley Young for M Isaiah Osbourne | 71’ | 
F Luke Moore for CF Marlon Harewood | 77’ | 
W Patrik Berger for CB Curtis Davies | 80’ | 

Unused Substitutes |

M Craig Gardner
GK Scott Carson

Team Stats |

Starting XI Average Age | 25.34 | 

Oldest Player | CB Olof Mellberg | 30.08 |

Youngest Player | M Isaiah Osbourne | 19.90 |

 On this day 26 September 2007 

Centre back Curtis Davies made his debut appearance for Villa after joining on a season long loan from West Bromwich Albion in August 2007.

Match Report

BBC Sport

Wednesday, 26 September 2007

*Matty Fryatt’s goal gave Championship side Leicester City a shock victory at Aston Villa in the Carling Cup.* 

A much-changed Villa side were poor early on with only Shaun Maloney threatening, while Iain Hume went close with a near-post header for the Foxes. 

Fryatt broke the deadlock with 16 minutes left, running clear and firing past Stuart Taylor from a tight angle. 

The home side came to life when Patrik Berger, Ashley Young and Luke Moore came on - but Leicester held on to win.

Villa boss Martin O’Neill won this competition in 1997 and 2000 when he was in charge of the Foxes but his old club ensured he will have to wait to complete his hat-trick. 

O’Neill decided to shuffle his squad, handing defender Curtis Davies his debut and bringing Taylor, Marlon Harewood, Stiliyan Petrov, Isaiah Osbourne and Maloney into the starting line-up. 

But, apart from a piledriver from Maloney that forced Leicester keeper Martin Fulop into a fine save, the home team rarely threatened. 

Leicester’s best opportunity fell to Hume in a first half that saw few real chances. 

Villa did improve after the restart and Fulop did well to keep out Harewood’s header from an inswinging Gareth Barry free-kick. 

But it was Leicester who took the lead when Fryatt latched on to a James Chambers’ pass and slotted past Taylor. 

O’Neill made three substitutions to try to shake up his team in response and Maloney almost levelled when Fulop tipped his dipping free-kick around the post. 

Gabriel Agbonlahor hooked the ball over the bar from close range in injury time as Villa continued to press but Leicester hung on to reach the fourth round. 

*Leicester boss Gary Megson:*

“Everybody put their bodies on the line and worked their socks off and deserved a result that probably no-one expected.

“We could have done with more quality and patience in the last third but this club has been in a relegation battle for three years. 

“We have the basis of a fantastic football club. We have the support, a great ground and we just need to get things right on the pitch.” 

*Aston Villa:* Taylor, Mellberg, Davies (Berger 80), Knight, Barry, Petrov, Osbourne (Young 71), Reo-Coker, Maloney, Harewood (Moore 77), Agbonlahor.

Subs Not Used: Carson, Gardner. 

*Leicester:* Fulop, N’Gotty, McAuley, Kisnorbo, Chambers, Clemence, Kishishev (Maybury 67), Stearman, Mattock, Hume (Campbell 63), Fryatt (Kenton 82).

Subs Not Used: Henderson, Sheehan. 


*Goals:*Fryatt 76. 


*Ref:* Lee Mason (Lancashire).