Game #5108

Season | 2009-10 |

Matchday | #37 |
Manager Game | #175 |
Wednesday, 24 February 2010
FA Cup | 5th Round Replay | Home | Crystal Palace | Villa Park | 31,874 | 

Game Summary

Manager | Martin O’Neill

KO | 20.00 |
Referee | Martin Atkinson | 

HT Score | 1-0 |
FT Score | 3-1 |

FT Result | Won |

Last 5 Games | DDDWW | 

Scorers | Gabby Agbonlahor | 42’ | John Carew | 81’ pen | 89’ pen |

Assists | Ashley Young | 42’ | 

Line Up |

GK Brad Guzan |
LB Stephen Warnock |
CB Carlos Cuéllar |
CB Richard Dunne |
RB Luke Young |
M Fabian Delph |
SUB OFF | 76' |
W Ashley Young |
W Stewart Downing |
W James Milner |
F Gabby Agbonlahor |
GOAL | 42' |
CF John Carew | GOAL | 81' | 89' |

Substitutes |

M Steve Sidwell for M Fabian Delph | 76’ |

Unused Substitutes |

GK Brad Friedel
CB Curtis Davies
RB Habib Beye
CF Emile Heskey
F Nathan Delfouneso
CB James Collins

Team Stats |

Starting XI Average Age | 26.53 | 

Oldest Player | RB Luke Young | 30.62 |

Youngest Player | M Fabian Delph | 20.27 |

Unavailable |

Injury |

M Nigel Reo-Coker | 

Match Stats |

Possession F | 59
Possession A | 41
Shots F | 17
Shots A | 10
Shots on Target F | 10
Shots on Target A | 4
Corners F | 12
Corners A | 6
Fouls F | 12
Fouls A | 15

Match Report 

BBC Sport

Wednesday, 24 February 2010

*John Carew won and scored two late penalties to see off Crystal Palace and keep alive Aston Villa’s hopes of reaching a second Wembley final.*

Gabby Agbonlahor glanced in a header to put Villa ahead in the FA Cup replay.

Darren Ambrose levelled from the penalty spot after Stephen Warnock’s clumsy challenge on Alan Lee.

Carew was then twice fouled by Matthew Lawrence in the box and blasted home both spot-kicks as Villa made the last eight for the first time in 10 years.

It was a sorry end to a brave display from the Eagles, who went into administration last month.

Villa boss Martin O’Neill will be relieved to have survived Palace’s spirited second-half fightback as his side prepares to face Manchester United at Wembley on Sunday in the Carling Cup final.

The two clubs had starkly contrasting preparations for the game with Villa basking in the build-up to that match, while Palace wait to discover the future of boss Neil Warnock, who has been strongly linked with Queens Park Rangers.

The teams’ previous meeting had ended in controversy when Warnock fumed at the erroneous award of a corner that led to Stiliyan Petrov’s late equaliser.

If he was angry then, he is sure to be further inflamed by a near carbon copy of the Selhurst Park incident that led to Villa’s first goal.
The hosts started in blistering fashion as Palace keeper Julian Speroni kept the visitors in it with two smart stops from Carew and another from Young.


The best early chance fell to Agbonlahor, who expertly spun past Claude Davis and burst into the box only to see Speroni parry his low shot.

Warnock then wasted a golden chance to tee up the poised Carew after being brilliantly sent through by James Milner.
Palace centre-back Davis made numerous crucial last-ditch challenges and was possibly fortunate not to concede a penalty when one of his clumsier efforts on Agbonlahor went unpunished by referee Martin Atkinson.


But just as it seemed Palace would reach half-time unscathed, they fell behind to a goal uncannily similar to Petrov’s leveller in south London 10 days ago.

The ball appeared to touch Milner last when it rolled out of play as he tussled with Nick Carle by the touchline but the England midfielder’s sheepish appeal rendered a corner-kick.

Young duly whipped over the set-piece and Agbonlahor shook off Shaun Derry and converted from four yards out.

The goal inspired Palace to create their best chance of the half as Carle’s 25-yard strike from whistled just past the post.

And the Eagles began the second half brightly with Ambrose twice testing Brad Guzan from long range.

Agbonlahor was then foiled by Speroni in a one-on-one, before Young saw his effort brilliantly tipped around the post by the impressive Palace keeper.

Neil Danns had a great chance to level when he lashed an effort across the face of goal from a few yards out after Villa failed to clear.

But the visitors didn’t have to wait long for an equaliser, with official Atkinson again in the thick of the action.

Warnock bundled over Lee eight yards from goal and the referee gave a penalty, which Ambrose struck sweetly into the right-hand corner.

Villa, mindful that extra-time would do little to help their Wembley preparations, immediately found an extra gear as they searched for a winner.

Young and Richard Dunne both blazed over from close range before a rush of blood from Palace defender Lawrence helped the hosts regain the lead with nine minutes remaining.

He needlessly hauled down Carew in the area and the Norwegian striker picked himself up to blast the spot-kick into the roof of the net.

The brave but tiring visitors had no riposte and Villa continued to pile forward, with Speroni performing more heroics to superbly tip over Stewart Downing’s 20-yard drive.

The win was secured when Lawrence again conceded a soft penalty with a rash challenge on Carew just inside the box.

The striker converted emphatically for a second time as Villa made the quarter-finals for the first time since they finished runners-up to Chelsea in 2000.

*Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill on his side’s commitment ahead of Sunday’s Carling Cup final against Manchester United:*

“We went strongly with our side. Injuries are always a risk but the players were prepared to take the risk.

“All the players were prepared to go for it and I did not see one shirking anything at all ahead of Sunday. That speaks volumes for the team.”