Game #5097

Season | 2009-10 |

Matchday | #26 |
Manager Game | #164 |
Saturday, 2 January 2010
FA Cup | 3rd Round | Home | Blackburn Rovers | Villa Park | 25,453 | 

Game Summary

Manager | Martin O’Neill |

KO | 15.00 |

Referee | Howard Webb | 
HT Score | 2-0 |
FT Score | 3-1 |

FT Result | Won |

Last 5 Games | WWLLW | 

Scorers | Nathan Delfouneso | 12’ | Carlos Cuéllar | 37’ | John Carew | 90’ pen |

Line Up |

GK Brad Guzan |
RB Habib Beye |
LB Stephen Warnock |
CB Carlos Cuéllar |
GOAL | 37' |
CB James Collins | 
M Nigel Reo-Coker |
BOOKED | 31' |
M Fabian Delph | SUB OFF | 46' |
W Ashley Young |
W Stewart Downing |
CF Emile Heskey |
F Nathan Delfouneso |
GOAL | 12' | SUB OFF | 75' |

Substitutes |

M Steve Sidwell for M Fabian Delph | 46’ | 

CF John Carew GOAL | 90' | for F Nathan Delfouneso | 75’ |

Unused Substitutes |

GK Brad Friedel
M Stiliyan Petrov
W Marc Albrighton
CB Richard Dunne
RB Luke Young

Cards |

 Yellow | Nigel Reo-Coker | 31’ |

Team Stats |

Starting XI Average Age | 26.17 | 

Oldest Player | RB Habib Beyel | 32.98 |

Youngest Player | F Nathan Delfouneso | 18.93 |

Unavailable |

Injury |

CB Curtis Davies | 

Match Stats |

Possession F | 59
Possession A | 41
Shots F | 13
Shots A | 4
Shots on Target F | 7
Shots on Target A | 1
Corners F | 9
Corners A | 5
Fouls F | 8
Fouls A | 13

Match Report

BBC Sport

Saturday, 2 January 2010

*Aston Villa had some anxious moments as they progressed to the FA Cup fourth round for only the third time in nine seasons after beating 10-man Blackburn.*

Nathan Delfouneso headed in Ashley Young’s cross to put Villa ahead.

Bradley Guzan then saved David Dunn’s penalty and the visitors rued the miss when Carlos Cuellar extended the lead.

El-Hadji Diouf was dismissed before Nikola Kalinic got one back for Rovers who made sure of victory with John Carew’s injury-time penalty.

The victory will restore confidence for Martin O’Neill’s side after two previous defeats by Arsenal and Liverpool and it also demonstrated that Villa have an added depth to their squad this season.

Even though they made seven changes to the team which lost to Liverpool, they were boosted by the return of the previously suspended Young who was a threat from the start.


Likewise, Rovers’ boss Sam Allardyce made nine changes as both managers protected some of their players ahead of Tuesday’s Carling Cup semi-final between the sides at Ewood Park.


Villa’s line-up was the stronger of the two and the home side went ahead after 12 minutes.

Cutting in from the left, it was Young’s centre who provided Delfouneso with a straightforward header to open the scoring, with the teenager finishing from 10 yards out.

Young could have extended the lead himself before Villa’s good work looked to have been wasted when they conceded a penalty.

Nigel Reo-Coker, who was Villa’s captain, was adjudged to have brought down Steven Reid but Guzan saved from Dunn.

The miss was made worse when Young’s free-kick was glanced in by Cuellar to give Villa a 2-0 lead six minutes later.

And things got even bleaker for Rovers when Diouf was given a straight red card before the break when he recklessly brought down Habib Beye.

Yet their path back into the match was given an unexpected lift when Guzan dropped an inswinging corner to allow Kalinic to score.

Villa suddenly looked perturbed and Kalinic could have levelled matters after being sent clear by substitute Morten Gamst Pedersen.

But Villa restored their authority when Reo-Coker had a shot turned round the post and in the 90th minute Gael Givet brought down Carew in the box with the Norwegian sending Rovers keeper Jason Brown the wrong way from the spot.

*Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill:*

“Ashley set up the opening two goals and he is a top-quality player who is so important to us.

“It is three years this month since he came to us from Watford and his contribution for us during that time has been immense.

“I’m delighted to have won the game. The players are desperate to play. We utilised the squad today and the young lads, Nathan and Fabien, did very well for us.”

*Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce on Diouf’s red card:*

“I see a lot of those situations that never result in a sending-off. They will justify it by saying it was two-footed but the referee, Howard Webb, is a long way away.

“He did not know what sort of tackle it was because I have seen a playback on the video. If the assistant referee made the decision, then fine, but I don’t think he did.”

“I have to give [my team] great credit for the way they played in the second half but all the damage was done in the first half for us.

“At least we showed the right professional approach in the second half to get back into the game, even with 10 men.