Game | #3365 |

Season | 1974-75 |

Matchday | #41 |

League Match-week | #29 |

Manager Game | #41 |

Tuesday, 18 February 1975

Football League | Division Two | Away | Portsmouth | Fratton Park | 13,355 |

Game Summary |

Manager | Ron Saunders |

FT Result | Won |

FT Score | 3-2 |

Last 5 Games | WWDLW |

Scorers | Frank Carrodus | 1' | Ray Graydon | 20' | Brian Little | 37' |  

Line Up |

GK Jim Cumbes |

CD Neil Rioch | FINAL |

D Ian Ross |

FB John Robson |

LB Charlie Aitken |

LB Bobby McDonald |

M Leighton Phillips |

W Ray Graydon | GOAL | 20' |

W Frank Carrodus | GOAL | 1' |

F Keith Leonard |

F Brian Little | GOAL | 37' |

Unused Substitute |
F Alun Evans |

Team Stats |

Starting XI Average Age | 25.85 | 

Oldest Player | LB Charlie Aitken | 32.82 |

Youngest Player | LB Bobby McDonald | 19.87 |

On this day 18 February 1975

Central defender Neil Rioch made his final appearance for Villa aged 23 before moving on to Plymouth Argyle in May 1975. Neil played for Villa between 1969-70 and 1974-75 making 24 appearances and scoring 3 goals.

Match Report

*Birmingham Daily Post*

*Wednesday 19 February 1975*

Villa step nearer promotion


Portsmouth 2, Aston Villa 3 

Aston Villa took another stride towards promotion at Fratton Part in last night’s five goal thriller.

The 13,355 crowd were in tenterhooks right to the final whistle as both sides played attacking football which was a credit to the game.


Villa, 11 days away from their Wembley League Cup Final date against fellow promotion rivals Norwich were just that little bit more skilful and positive. But it was a desperately close affair as Portsmouth attempted to improve their position at the opposite end of the table.


The first half was the most exciting i have seen all season as all five goals were scored in 37 minutes.


Villa made an explosive start, scoring the first goal after just 30 seconds as Portsmouth’s injury hit side were still virtually warming up.


Ray Graydon crossed from the left and Frank Carrodus and Keith Leonard both had shots blocked before Carrodus breached Portsmouth’s defensive barricade for his third goal of the season.


Leonard, who had a tremendous game, inspired the second goal after 20 minutes, putting Graydon through to score his 22nd goal of the campaign from close range. But Portsmouth, who had only 13 fit men to select from because of influenza, fought back to level the scores in a three minute revival.


Ian Ross and Bobby McDonald were adjudged to have brought down the former Albion winger Ken Foggs in the area in the 33rd minute and Mick Mellows scored from the spot at the second attempt after Jim Cumbes had saved his first kick.



Cumbes who had a fine game, also reached Mellows’s second kick but the ball unkindly bounced over his body to deny him a third consecutive penalty save.

Villa’s defence was all at sea in the 36th minute when the unmarked George Graham at the far post, equalised after a grand right wing centre from Phil Roberts. 


But Villa were not to be denied. They went ahead again a minute later with a determined goal from Brian Little as he pushed McDonald’s low centre from the left under David Best’s body.


The second half could not match what had gone before but it was still full of eventful entertaining football. 

Villa’s victory, their fourth away from home this season, moved them up to fourth in the table and should put them in tremendous spirit for Saturday’s clash with the leaders, Manchester United. It is also a marvellous fillip for the League Cup final.


Referee Joey Jones from Treharris booked Leighton Phillips after wight minutes for taking the ball away after disputing a decision.